Highlights of four games including Stephanie Karcz hitting 1000 for Middletown South, a 1000 point moment for Trent Mitchell of Wall, plus boys basketball wins for Freehold Township and Saint John Vianney
Click above to watch great highlights from four games:
Middletown South 65 Marlboro 39 – SSZ was there as Lady Eagles junior guard Stephanie Karcz scored her 1000th career point. Karcz finished with 23 points as the Eagles went on an 8-0 run to close the first half for a 30-21 lead. Middletown South dominated the second half and Karcz reached the 1000 mark in the third quarter.
Wall 65 Ocean Township 62 (OT) – Trent Mitchell scored 20 points including his 1000th career point on a free throw, but the Crimson Knights needed an extra four minutes to avoid an upset. Ocean trailed by eight in the final minute, but three point shooting got them into overtime. Taj Shomo buried a triple at the buzzer to tie the game at 57. Ryan Janeczek’s follow off a missed layup by Brendan Barcas proved to be the game winner.
Freehold Township 71 Middletown North 57 –The Lions led by five after one quarter and had a one point lead before the Patriots turned it on in the second half. Tyree Wilson had 22 for the Patriots, who avoided a letdown following their big win over CBA.
Saint John Vianney 53 Holmdel 44 – Zach Howarth led the Lancers with 18 points in a road win across town against the Hornets.
SSZ Hoop Zone Boys Honor Roll – Thursday January 29th
1. Pat Andree, CBA – 30 points in a 61-54 overtime win at Manalapan
2. Brendan Barry, Rumson-Fair Haven – 29 points in a 70-56 win at Shore Regional
3. Chris Iapicco, Lacey – 28 points in a 61-56 overtime loss to Toms River South
4. Aaron Trimble, Howell – 22 points in a 55-48 win over Freehold Boro
4. Tyree Wilson, Freehold Township – 22 points in a 71-57 win at Middletown North
6. Trent Mitchell, Wall – 20 points in a 65-62 overtime win at Ocean
SSZ Hoop Zone Girls Honor Roll for Thursday, January 28th
1. Desiree Allen, Neptune – 26 points in a 60-59 win against Colts Neck
2. Stephanie Karcz, Middletown South – 23 points in a 65-39 home win over Marlboro